9.11.14

So this is why people love Europe.

Ok so I don’t know how many of you have been to Prague, but it is seriously like the kingdom straight out of Beauty and the Beast or something. It is so beautiful. Let’s just recap this wonderful place.

We woke up at the crack of dawn to catch a bus. We were fretting for a bit because we almost missed it even though we left like an hour early. Sometimes in these cities the subways run less frequently in the wee hours of the morning. We found that out the hard way. Luckily we made it, and we made the beautiful drive through the beautiful German countryside and through Dresden to Prague.

When we got there we found our way to the hostel in record time. This was a good thing to because there was so much Prague waiting for us to explore. The only hoop we had to jump through was the check in time. We arrived to the hostel 30 minutes before check in. I used my mad powers of persuasion (I begged the receptionist), to let us check in early, and finally he obliged.

Once we were all checked in, we found out that we were just in time to go on a free walking tour. We grabbed a sandwich to go and met in the town square. When we found our tour guide, he told us to go watch the town square’s clock. He said it would probably change our life. We waited until the hour struck and the clock did it’s little performance. It was probably the dumbest thing I have ever waited for. It hardly did anything, but the whole square was full of tourists waiting for the clock. When we got back to the tour guide, he sarcastically said, “I knew it would change your life!” What a funny dude. Later in the tour he told us that the Prague clock is voted every year as one of the most overrated tourist sights to see in Europe. When he actually told us the history behind the clock, it became a lot cooler.

Apparently, the Prague clock was the first of its kind. It had the time, but also the date. The coolest thing I think it did was show where the earth is in relation to the sun and the moon. Well when it was built, the king at the time didn’t want the inventor to sell his secrets to any other kingdoms. So what did he do?.... Take a wild guess….. You were wrong! He didn’t die. They just cut out his tongue and blinded him.  That is a way worse punishment and was very brutal in my opinion. If my life ever comes to that, I think I would rather just go peacefully that have anyone ever take away some of my vital senses.

My other favorite part of the tour was when we went to the old Jewish district. The only things that were original were the old cemetery and the synagogue. The cemetery blew my mind. This was the only place the Jews were allowed to bury their dead. They don’t believe in cremation, so they had to have every single body in this extremely small area. The guide told us that there are about 8-10 bodies stacked on top of each other, and that they estimate 100,000 bodies are buried there. I have no idea if that is true, but it blew my mind. Apparently, back in the day, the ghettos were so bad that they had to tear them all up because the disease was so spreading so rampantly. Now that it has been rebuilt, it is full of some of the most expensive shops in all of Prague. Ironic huh?

For the rest of the tour I was so freezing that I couldn’t concentrate super well. It was a four hour long tour, so all the girls started feeling the same way as me. We tipped our tour guide generously, and went on our way. Our next destination was food of course.

In the spirit of being in the Czech Republic, we decided to try and find some traditional Czech cuisine. Rosie and I decided to share once again. This time, we decided to get Pork knee and Goolash.  It was interesting… The pork knee would have been good but it tasted so slimy. The goolash was actually pretty good. Well done Czech Republic.

 After we ate, we went back to the hostel because we were exhausted. We were all so excited about the next day because it was so beautiful and we had just barely dipped our toes in all that Prague had to offer.  I had a really great first day in Prague. I can really understand now why people drool over Europe. Prague gave that to me and it only got better on Prague day two.


XO Mikele